Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Teaching How to be Good Citizens in Today's Society


I find it very hard to understand how people do not know how to be good citizens - whether it be taking care of themselves, others, or the world around them.

I have posters that I post on the wall above my classroom door that display the different character traits I want my students to exude every single day - no matter if they are in the classroom, in park during recess, at home, on the way home, in gym - EVERYWHERE and ALWAYS!

Citizenship wraps all the different traits into one: Respect, Responsibility, Trustworthiness, Compassion, Diligence, Justice, and Perseverence - these are the main traits that I see our future world leaders needing more of than we see now.

These Citizenship collages are a bit sparse, but it wasn't the outcome of these collages that I was carign for, it was the co-operation that took place between the groups and the emphasis that they had to work together with specific jobs and roles if they wanted to complete a good, clean final project.  As Grade Four has progressed this year, they have gained an understanding of what their roles need to be if they want success in a group and individually.

Some, obviously more than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment